Private tutor – April-May 2016
- Provided tuition in Chemistry and Biology A-levels in preparation for upcoming exams.
- Over the past two years I have run a number of tutorials for small groups of medical students.
- I used a range of teaching methods to help improve everyone’s understanding of very difficult topics.
Play Team Volunteer, Great Ormond Street Hospital — 2013-2015
- This has involved helping to organise and then providing appropriate play activities for patients and their siblings whilst maintaining a caring and safe environment.
- I have been looking after children aged 3-18, in small groups and on an individual basis.
AS-Levels: Extended Project Qualification-A, Physics-B
A-Levels: Biology-A, Chemistry-A*, History-A
University College London Medical School 2012-present
Currently completing my undergraduate studies in medicine
University College London Institute of Child Health 2015
Medical Sciences BSc in Paediatrics & Child Health
My Approach To Private Tuition
I was inspired to teach by my own experiences at school; in particular by my Science and History teachers. Above all they treated me as an individual, encouraging me to achieve my personal best. My teachers’ enthusiasm and commitment motivated me to consistently produce A grade results. In English, a subject that I did not enjoy initially, my teacher used his sense of humour to teach us tricks and mnemonics to make learning interesting. My favourite teachers were those who were approachable, friendly and their honesty encouraged a sense of openness in the classroom. I am now committed to incorporating these traits within my own approach to tutoring.
Tutoring to me involves much more than just providing the student with answers. I believe every child should be taught not only how to succeed in their upcoming exams, but also encouraged to develop the skills required to excel in all their future academic endeavours. This can only be achieved through a tailored and pragmatic approach, which is different for every pupil. My understanding of, and previous experience, working to get the very best out of young people forms the basis of my approach. This will ensure your child reaches their full potential.
A summary of my approach can be seen below:
- Meet the pupil and family, find some common ground and build rapport. As I believe pupils will engage well with someone they can relate to.
- Identify any areas for development.
- Set out specific targets for the number of sessions planned.
- Consistently review how the teaching is going and be ready to modify the approach to tutoring as required to ensure the best possible outcome.
Mrs. Oluwobe (Parent) – ‘Daniel has worked very hard helping my son to prepare for his A-level exams. The teaching has changed his attitude towards teaching and set him in the right direction.’
I have completed the Inca Trail to Macchu Picchu in the Andes mountains twice, and can’t wait to go again one day.